COURSE TITLE: ACCIDENT-INCIDENT SAFETY INVESTIGATOR 3-DAY INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM
INSTRUCTOR: The course is taught by the recipient of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada’s Excellence in Investigations Award, Clinton Marquardt, Accident Investigator & Human Fatigue Specialist
DESCRIPTION: The 3-Day intensive Accident-Incident Safety Investigator Training Program provides you with a step-wise methodology to investigate accidents and incidents from a Safety Management Systems (SMS) perspective. The method was modelled after the ISIM methodology used by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) and incorporates internationally recognized safety investigation approaches used by the world’s foremost safety boards. The result is a refined and optimized methodology that provides you with a comprehensive and practical approach to conducting accident and incident investigations. The 3-Day Intensive Accident-Incident Safety Investigator Training Program more efficiently trains investigators in a shorter period of time. You won’t be overwhelmed by impractical academic theory and irrelevant material. Instead, during the hands-on course, Clinton leads you step-by-step through the Critical Incident Investigation Process (CIIP) so that you can explain what happened and why it happened. The CIIP focusses on understanding the accident from a human factors perspective. It provides both new and experienced investigators with specialized tools to keep the accident reconstruction moving forward even if investigators encounter roadblocks that make it difficult to explain an accident or incident.
The course will provide you with the Critical Incident Investigation Process to follow and a skill-set to facilitate writing reports with strong and accurate conclusions about the risk and causal factors involved in an accident or incident. Participants will learn the material through an engaging use of a case study, safety vignettes and hands-on exercises.
Did you know that most accident investigations do not fix the underlying causes of accidents?
After the training, you will be able to use the respected Critical Incident Investigation Process (CIIP) to get to the real reason the accident happened. You will know “Why” the accident happened and you will know how to fix it!
When you fix the problem, you will be improving safety, reducing human error, controlling risk, getting along better with the regulators and you will be reducing the financial losses of accidents!
One accident can financially cripple a company!
The 3-Day Intensive Accident Investigator Training Program will help you prevent accidents, and if you only ever prevent one accident, this course will have easily paid for itself! Now is the time to modernize your safety investigation skills with an efficacy-based human factors focus.
A 2-Day Condensed Intensive Accident-Incident Safety Investigator Training Program is available for organizations with a current Safety Management System(SMS). Your SMS investigation components can be mapped onto the CIIP.
ONE YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL TRAINING, A $1,000 VALUE!
All of Clinton’s training comes with a One-Year Warranty!
If you need support of any kind related to the training, he will provide it absolutely free!
Questions – Clarifications – Pointers?
Clinton will happily help you out.
Contact Clinton today to take advantage of your One-Year Warranty.
TIME: 08:30 – 16:00 for all 3 days
- EARLY-BIRD REGISTRATION: $1,100.00 CAD if you register before the deadline
- REGULAR REGISTRATION: $1,400.00 CAD – Deadline is 2 weeks before course start date
- GROUP RATE: Discounts are available, please inquire
REFUND POLICY: Refunds are available if requested at least 7 days before the course. A fee of $100 will be applied to cover administrative expenses (e.g., bank fees, printed materials, hotel service charges).
MEALS and REFRESHMENTS: Lunches and refreshment breaks are included in the tuition. Please advise Clinton of any food allergies 14 days prior to the course.
CREDITS and CERTIFICATION: This course has been pre-approved by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR) for 20 CEU’s upon obtaining a passing grade on the examination. ACTAR members should bring appropriate ACTAR identification, including their ID number, for registration of the CEU’s. All participants who attend the full course will be awarded certificates of completion.
TRAINING MODULES OVERVIEW:
- Safety investigation interviewing, the right way
- Assessing an incident to determine if an investigation is required
- Assembling an investigation team
- Managing and communicating with stakeholders and authorities
- Finding out what happened by collecting the facts
- Photography and videography techniques
- Building an action sequence
- Collecting additional data
- Identifying safety significant actions
- Figuring out why it happened by analyzing the data
- Why-because, 5 why’s, root cause, Ishikawa/fish bone/cause & effect, and substandard acts/conditions analyses
- Developing multiple explanations
- Testing explanations
- Identifying risk factors
- Identifying causal factors
- Performing a mitigation assessment
- Performing a risk assessment
- Developing a corrective actions plan
- Documenting the investigation
Participants in the Accident-Incident Safety Investigator Training Program receive distinct benefits that are not provided by other training programs. These benefits include:
- Less down time, this program is delivered in 2 and 3-day-intensive formats
- Significant savings, our program is the most affordable
- Better investigation results in less time, our investigation process is efficacy-based and customizable to meet your needs
- Easier interactions with government safety boards, our investigation process is based on internationally accepted models
BY THE END OF THE PROGRAM, PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Effectively and efficiently conduct accident and incident investigations
- Understand the step-wise process of investigating a transportation accident from initial notification to reporting
- Confidently interact with stakeholders and authorities
- Identify and preserve perishable data
- Use the CIIP to understand “what” happened and “why” it happened
- Use the human error identification tools to keep the accident reconstruction moving forward
- Identify risk and causal factors using why-because, 5 why’s, root cause, Ishikawa/fish bone/cause & effect, and substandard acts/conditions analyses
- Articulate data driven explanations for incidents and accidents
- Evaluate the need for additional mitigations
- Perform risk assessments to determine the need for safety action
- Propose corrective action plans
- Draft reports that flow logically from accident narratives to data descriptions and analyses and clearly identify the risk and causal factors involved in incidents and accidents
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Accident and Incident Safety Investigators
- Safety Inspectors
- Accident Reconstructionists
- Safety Officers and Safety Managers
- Occupational Health and Safety Professionals
- Municipal, provincial and federal transportation officials
- Transportation and manufacturing safety monitoring and regulating agencies and organizations
- Commercial transportation industry officials from all modes including aviation, marine, rail, pipeline, school bus, motor coach and trucking
- Manufacturing association officials and safety personnel
- Patient Safety and Healthcare Safety Professionals
- Labour Union Representatives
- Transportation Professionals
- Heavy Industry Professionals
- Safety and Compliance Specialists
Approved by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction for 20 CEU’s!
This is the only Canadian ACTAR Accredited course of its kind to be taught by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada’s former Human Fatigue Specialist.
CLOSEST AIRPORT: TBD
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COURSE: Contact us by e-mail or phone at
- North America 613-482-0837
- International 00+1-613-482-0837
Need an accident-incident investigation course at your office? It’s easier than you think. Clinton’s courses can be delivered as an “in-service” at your location anywhere in the world to groups of eight or more.
Courses, training, public talks and fatigue information is shared frequently throughout the year. Please sign-up for the newsletter to obtain this information.